Chaat Recipe with Goldfish
Chaat is at once sweet and sour, soft and crunchy, and savory and spicy. Easy make and a crave-able snack on all levels.
- 1/2 cup red onion ~ Chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup tomato ~ Deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup green mango ~ Chopped, or a tart green apple, e.g. granny smith
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves ~ Chopped
- 1 small green chili ~ Finely minced, more or less to your taste
- 1 teaspoon black salt ~ Or 1/2 teaspoon coarse, sea or table salt
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala ~ Or 1 to 2 more tsp of lemon or lime juice; buy or make
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted or plain corn
- 2 cups cheese crackers ~ See first Notes below with other ideas
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice ~ More if not using chaat masala
- 1/2 cup sev ~ Dried chickpea flour noodles; substitute finely chopped cucumber
- green chutney mixed 50/50 with yogurt ~ Drizzle, make chutney or buy
- tamarind & date chutney ~ Drizzle
Gather all your ingredients.
In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients except the crackers, and the sev. Taste for seasonings and just before serving, add the crackers, puffed rice, or popcorn.
Garnish the finished chaat with drizzles of chutney.
- Instead of goldfish crackers, you can substitute puffed rice, cheesy popcorn, bhel mix, or even your favorite cheese crackers. Priya calls for Parle cheeselings, so certainly use them if you can find them.
- If using a granny smith apple instead of the green mango, rub the juice of half the lemon over the apple pieces to prevent browning.
- If you are not a big fan of raw onions, place the chopped onions in a small bowl and cover with cider vinegar and marinate for at least 15 minutes or more. Alternatively, you could use scallions instead.
- This is not a dish that you can make and leave out for hours. The crackers and sev will go soggy if not eaten pretty quickly.
- Chaat recipe with goldfish is one of the Top 20 Dishes in India, enjoy!
Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1091mg | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9253IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 5mg