Indian-ish Yogurt Potato Salad
An easy, vibrant yogurt potato salad mixed through with colorful, crunchy vegetables. No egg, no mayo, this is healthy and perfect for your next picnic or cookout!
- 1 teaspoon garlic ~ Grated or puréed
- 1/4 cup red onion ~ Finely minced
- 2 scallions (green onions) ~ Finely minced
- 2 teaspoons sea or table salt ~ Divided, see substitutes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper ~ More to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds ~ Or yellow or black
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar ~ Or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 teaspoons lime juice ~ Or lemon
- 1/2 cup Greek-style plain yogurt ~ Ideally full-fat; hung yogurt
- 3 tablespoons cilantro ~ Chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 pound potatoes ~ Yukon Gold, red potatoes, not russets
- 1/4 cup cucumber ~ Seeds removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup corn ~ Optional, cooked
- scallions greens
- toasted sesame seeds
- paprika ~ Smoked or not
- chili flakes
Gather your ingredients.
Peel and cut the potatoes. Place in a saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt, cover with water by an inch. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then turn down to medium-high and simmer until tender. This will take about 13 to 16 minutes.
Mix Together the Sauce
While the potatoes are cooking, chop the cucumber, scallions, and red onion. Mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside. The vinegar and lime juice will help mellow out the garlic, onion and scallions while resting. See Notes below if you don't like raw red onions.
Drain the potatoes and thoroughly mix in the sauce ingredients.
Taste for salt (I always need more), pepper, acid (lime or lemon juice, or vinegar), and sugar. The yogurt potato salad will keep well in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Serve room temperature or chilled with your favorite garnishes. Please see my ideas in the notes below.
- Taking the bite out of red onions:
- Start the recipe by allowing the minced onions to marinate in the vinegar.
- Simmer the red onion for a minute in boiling water and then follow the recipe.
- Increase the scallions and skip the red onion altogether.
- Add heat:
- Chili flakes: 1/2 tsp Indian, Korean (guchagaru), or Italian chili flakes.
- Big pinch of cayenne
- Finely chopped fresh green chilis
- Optional Add-Ins:
- Protein: 1/4 cup crumbled paneer, feta, firm tofu, sausage, or cubed pancetta or ham
- Lentils: chickpeas or any of your favorite lentils
- Vegetables: chives, zucchini, peas, cabbage, celery, 1 Indian green chili, ~ (1/2 tsp) or 1/2 a Serrano chili
- Spices & flavorings:
- To make this yogurt potato salad vegan, use a vegan yogurt and mayonnaise.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 603mg | Potassium: 814mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg