Cooling Raita in 5 Minutes!
An easy, healthy side dish that goes with almost anything you are serving. Make this 4-ingredient cooling raita to fill out a meal or use as a dressing, dip, or use to replace mayo.
The 4-Ingredient Basic Raita
- 1 cup plain yogurt ~ Full fat is best, but use what you like.
- 2 tablespoons onion, shallot, scallion ~ Grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice ~ More to taste
- salt and pepper ~ To taste
- 1 tablepoon fresh herbs ~ Cilantro, mint, parsley, or chives coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chive blossoms ~ Torn
- sprinkling chili flakes
Gather the ingredients you are using. See Notes for additional options.
Mix all the ingredients together and pop into the refrigerator until ready to serve. Make the raita ahead and serve within 3 days.
Notes to create your perfect cooling raita:
- For vegan raita, use coconut yogurt.
- If the raita is too tangy or spicy for you, just add some more yogurt.
- Elevate the flavors of your raita if using cumin or coriander seeds: toast them and then coarsely crush with a mortar and pestle, or a heavy pan.
- If you use thick Greek-style yogurt you may want to add a bit of water to thin your final dish.
- Usually, raita is lightly salted, but salt to your taste.
- Add the fresh herbs, if using, just before serving.
Optional fruits and vegetables:
- pinch of hing (asafetida)
- pinch of ground red chili of your choice: Kashmiri, gochugaru, Aleppo, cayenne, etc.
- 1 to 2 tsp finely chopped green chili, Serrano, bell pepper, or Indian chilis
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed or ground cumin seeds ~ See note above
- 1/2 tsp crushed or ground coriander seeds ~ See note above
- 1 tablespoon of oil for added richness and flavor: olive oil, mustard oil, avocado, etc.
- spice blends ~ a pinch to taste: garam masala, Kerala garam masala, chaat masala, etc.
- chopped tomato
- chopped cucumber, seeds removed
- cooked or raw grated carrot
- roasted eggplant
- cooked potatoes
- cooked spinach
- chopped mango
- chopped papaya
- chopped kiwi
- chopped pomegranate
Calories: 37kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 28mg | Potassium: 95mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 82IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 74mg