Garam Masala Powder
Make this aromatic spice blend and it will be a gift to yourself that keeps on giving. Homemade garam masala is better than anything you can buy!
Servings 8 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon black cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
- 3 3-inch cassia sticks
- 3 bay leaves ~ Indian bay leaves if you have them
- 1 tablespoons dried rose petals ~ Optional
- 1/2 star anise ~ Optional
In a mortar and pestle or using a heavy pan, crush the black cardamom pods so you can remove the seeds. The green cardamom can be toasted and ground with the shell on.
In a large pan over medium heat, toast all the spices except for the rose petals and star anise, if using. Shake the pan frequently for about a minute or two keep the spices from burning. You are looking for the spices to become highly aromatic and start to turn a slightly darker shade.
Pour the spices out onto a plate and cool completely. Adding in the rose petals and star anise, if using, process the spices into a fine powder in a spice grinder in batches, depending on the size of your spice grinder. I like to sieve the spices and if there are any larger pieces, run them through the grinder again. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container.
- Shortcut: buy garam masala powder, if you don’t have time to make your own. I like the garam masala blend from Penzeys, and Indian groceries carry Indian made blends that are quite popular. My favorite is the Rani brand.
- Use cassia instead of true cinnamon if you have it. Cassia is the variety of cinnamon most often used in India.
- Roasting whole spices make them easier to grind and brings out the individual flavors.
- Do not be tempted to increase the heat in order to speed up the process, or you will end up with a bitter flavor that will spoil your dish.
- Most garam masala mixes are not intended to add heat to your cooking. Each recipe you are making will have fresh green chilies and/or whole or ground red chilies as needed.
Calories: 15kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 62mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg